A beautiful lawn it is maintained! Discover how to maintain your lawn in a few gestures. Here are the care to bring to your lawn step by step.
– Apply an antifoam to the affected areas.
– Leave for 10 to 15 days then scarify.
For removing foam, felting and loosening soil.
– After a first mowing down, scarify your lawn on wet ground, neither soggy nor too dry.
– Proceed by crossing to avoid any unscarified area.
– Carefully collect foam and waste material.
The quality and frequency of mowing depends on the beauty of a lawn. This cut causes grass tufts to thicken and eliminate the seedling of certain weeds.
• Lawn mower. Read our zero turn lawn mower reviews here!
Sharpen the blade of your mower regularly so that the cutting of the strands is sharp. When they are frayed, the appearance of the lawn is yellowish and the risk of disease is greater.
Good to know :
Mulching mowers do not pick up the cuts because they grind the grass very finely. But it is good to alternate mulching and conventional mowing to avoid too much accumulation of plant debris on the lawn.
Remove dead branches and pebbles
To avoid any risk of throwing or damage to the lawn and mower deck, run your lawn in all directions before starting to mow. Pick up toys, pebbles, dead branches or other hard objects lying on the ground.
Cut around obstacles
With a hand mower, self-propelled or not, begin by cutting around the obstacles: tree trunks, curbs, alleys, feet of fences, etc. If you do not pick up the cuts, eject them towards the inside of the lawn.
Lawnmower without pick-up
If you are using a lawnmower with no lateral ejection, this should be done on the left, starting by turning it counterclockwise to avoid spraying on the aisles or the massifs. Do three or four turns. Then reverse your rotation so that the cuts are sent to the already mown part.
With a pick-up device, it is preferable to mow back and forth. Once in two, cross the direction of walking so as not to trample the lawn always in the same place.
In spring and autumn it is advisable to collect grass cuts, as the grass is greasy and dries out slowly. If you do not have a collection bin, use a lawn mop over the surface and use the mowing to make a good compost.
– Mow when grass exceeds 4 to 5 cm. Do not cut more than one third of the strand.
– With the conventional lawnmower: pick up the cut grass to prevent it from suffocating the grass.
– With a mulcher: double the frequency of mowing in times of strong growth of the vegetation.
– Summer mowing and last autumn mowing: mow one notch higher.
– Every two or three mowings, “redraw” your paths and edges with a hand or battery grass cutter.
– Be careful to sharpen the blade for a clean cut without tearing.
Ressemez and ride:
– Select a high-quality sodding turf, composed of a mixture of the best grasses.
– Distribute the seeds regularly on the stripped areas.
– Superficially bury the seed in the rake.
– Pass the roller to promote contact between the seeds and the soil.
– For maintenance pass the roller in order to keep the lawn flat and favor the density of your lawn.
– Apply a suitable seasonal grass fertilizer to the spreader (gradual release for green, dense, and resistant grass).
– Water regularly so that the water carries the nutrients.
– Observe the doses and periods of application recommended on the packaging.
– Little invaded lawn: remove the weeds by hand on wet ground and taking care to remove the roots.
– Very invaded lawn: spread a grass selective herbicide on wet soil.
– Respect the doses and conditions of use recommended on the packaging.
– Limit the development of weeds: by regularly cutting but especially by scarifying.
– Water uniformly and without puddling, from 5 to 10 liters / m² (15 to 20 minutes with an automatic sprinkler).
– Proceed in the evening to limit evaporation and waste.
– Prefer a copious and spaced watering to a superficial and frequent watering.
Clean the lawn:
– Remove broken branches that have fallen on the grass
– Trace the contours of your lawn using a trimmer.
– In autumn collect dead leaves using a round-toothed fan blaster, mower or blower.
Fight against moles and ants:
Keep moles and ants away with a suitable treatment product or material. Rake the molehills with rake and then replenish grass.